Feeling anxious coming to work each day.
Dreading interactions with certain coworkers or managers.
Unable to focus on your job duties.
These can be signs you are experiencing a hostile work environment in California.
At TONG LAW, we know how demoralizing and stressful it is to face inappropriate, harassing, or abusive treatment regularly at your workplace. The constant uneasiness distracts you from doing your best work and may even force you to take time off to cope with the emotional toll.
Unfortunately, hostile work environments are all too common. But there are protections under state and federal law, and an experienced California hostile work environment lawyer can help you take action.
You Have Legal Options To Stand Up Against Harassment
If you have reported mistreatment to your employer through internal channels like HR, but the behavior persists, it may be time to pursue formal legal action. A knowledgeable hostile work environment attorney will advise you regarding the best steps for your unique situation.
One option is to file an official charge of discrimination with the California Civil Rights Department (CRD). They will investigate whether your employer violated laws prohibiting harassment based on protected characteristics like race, sex, age, or religion.
Another avenue is retaining a skilled employment lawyer to formally notify your employer about the harassment and negotiate a fair resolution on your behalf. It may also be appropriate to file a lawsuit against the offending employees and employer. We will meticulously document your claims and vigorously advocate for the compensation you deserve.
Key Elements Needed to Prove Your Claim
For any legal action to succeed, there are three main factors our lawyers will need to establish:
- The harassment was connected to your membership in a protected class, such as gender, race, or disability status. Offensive jokes, slurs, or derogatory comments tied to protected characteristics help show this.
- The conduct was severe and pervasive enough to alter your work conditions and create an abusive environment. Persistent physical intimidation or threats would meet this standard.
- Your employer was aware of the problem but failed to take appropriate corrective steps. For example, human resources did not investigate or discipline harassers despite multiple complaints.
Thoroughly documenting each instance of mistreatment is crucial to proving these elements of a claim. Our legal team will obtain testimony, emails, texts, photographs, and other evidence to build your case.
Financial Compensation Could Be Available in Your Hostile Work Environment Case
Succeeding in a legal claim against workplace harassment can result in substantial financial compensation for the difficulties you have endured. Some remedies our clients have obtained include:
- Lost income due to missing work hours, receiving a demotion or being wrongfully terminated.
- Damages covering medical bills, therapy costs, and other monetary effects of the harassment’s mental and physical health impact.
- Punitive damages are intended to punish the company for permitting unlawful harassment and deter future offenses. Courts may award these when an employer acted with reckless disregard for your rights.
At TONG LAW, our unwavering commitment is to serve as trusted advisors and zealous advocates for employees facing harassment or discrimination. We have recovered substantial compensation for California clients in hostile work environment cases. Please contact our office today to schedule a confidential case evaluation.
Steps You Can Take Now to Improve Your Situation
If you believe you are experiencing unlawful harassment at work, there are proactive steps you can take while exploring your legal options:
- Thoroughly document each incident – keep a journal with dates, times, actions, and witnesses.
- Report each occurrence to your HR department and manager in writing to establish a paper trail.
- Consult with a therapist or counselor to help process the emotional impact.
- Reach out to supportive colleagues, friends, and family who can provide perspective.
- Review your employer’s harassment policies so you understand the complaint procedures.
- Consider requesting a temporary transfer or leave of absence if the environment becomes intolerable.
Remember – you do not have to endure a hostile work environment. Our team is here to listen and then take action to advocate for the respectful treatment you deserve.
Don’t Endure Workplace Harassment – Contact TONG LAW Today
If you feel you are stuck in an unlawful, hostile work environment in California, contact an experienced employment law attorney today to schedule a confidential consultation. At TONG LAW, we understand how demoralizing and traumatic workplace harassment can be. You deserve to feel safe, respected, and focused while doing your job. Our team has successfully represented employees in recovering substantial compensation in harassment cases just like yours. You are not alone. Let us fight to hold employers accountable and make sure your voice is heard.
The first step toward justice is connecting with a knowledgeable, dedicated advocate ready to aggressively pursue your rights. Contact us – together, we can work to create positive change.